Sunday, July 24, 2005

Gretyl Pruss

Gretyl Pruss is a young woman Krisin and I worked with in Oak Harbor. Gretyl is one of the coolest people we have had the priveledge to know, it was so fun working with her; she went with us on a mission trip to LA, she came to Mexico with the high school group while we were there...really cool cat. She just graduated highschool two years ago and moved to Oregon to play soccer for Western Baptist. Unfortuately she was hurt real bad about a year and a half ago in one of her games and has been in and out of surgery trying to fix her knee. It's been tough because every time I talke with her there's some kind of screw up the doctors or her coaches did that just pushes her healing back a step.

In fact after she hurt her leg in the game, her coach told her to just rest in her room, thinking there wasn't a problem. Then the doctors in Oregon jacked up the first surgery on her knee, putting lots of scar tissue on the bones, messing up the veins and arteries. It's just been a long road for her this past year.

I just got off the phone with her, having learned that she had her leg amputated above the knee. My heart breaks thinking about how awful this must be. I remember Kristin and I used to go to her high school soccer games, cheering as she dominated the field, and now this final blow to an already horendous year. The amazing thing is how calm, peaceful, forgiving and loving she is. While her mother (among others I'm sure) fight with bitterness and anger (righteously so..) she is content to know that life will be ok...God will be good...she can trust Him. I'm amazed.

Our dear friend. Our young student. Now she is teaching me and others already important lessons for this jorney through life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Wow, what a girl.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Fatso - I would like to contact Gretyl, who I first heard about from my Colorado College Adopt a Student, who knew her in high school, and told the same story you tell in your blog. I guess she is now in school in Canada. I would like to contact her to tell her of the Paralympic opportunities she could do in sports that are not soccer, but with her athleticism and attitude, she could represent the USA in sitting volleyball (the sport I work with) or other areas of interest.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GRETYL IS MY COUSIN!!! she's really great. This is weird that this exists on the internet and it's also weird that I ran across it.

PS. Who is Uncle Fatso? :?

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home